The team at Isaacs Hostel is committed to a greener future. Listed are the initiatives we are undertaking towards helping our environment:
- All staff are trained on green issues and encouraged to contribute towards making our hostel greener. They walk, cycle or use public transport to get to work.
- All plastic, paper, cardboard, aluminium cans and glass, batteries and gas cylinders are collected and recycled.
- We use recycled paper for all our printing needs and recycle ink and toner cartridges.
- We have installed motion-controlled lighting where suitable to reduce energy wastage.
- All showers and taps are fitted with push buttons to reduce water wastage.
- The boiler has been upgraded to enable us to adjust the heating and turn off heating to sections of the building as and when required.
- We have upgraded all of our office and guest computers to those with a higher energy rating.
- The hostel is powered by Airtricity who generate electricity using wind power – producing no emissions or by-products of any kind.
Year to date, our power saving is on average 1600 units per statement – equivalent to 4.13 c02 tonnes per year.
- Our Green Officer attends Sustainable Tourism Conferences and training days and we are active in forming links with eco friendly
partners in the tourism sector.
- We are currently researching ‘green suppliers’ of cleaning and office products.
- We are calculating our carbon emissions and will be off setting this.Future plans:
- Our building is to be upgraded in 2010 and we plan to:
- Increase window insulation to minimise heat loss
- Install solar panels on the roof